Re: [NTLK] Paging Card

From: COCCORP_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:36:43 EDT

> I don't think a simple "recrystal" will do it. The
> pager in question usually resides in the 165.xxx to
> the 195.xxx frequency area. <snip>
> Todays pagers operate in the UHF or
> higher band (400.xxx and 900.xxx) so just swapping out
> a crystal won't work. <snip>
> So, unless you want to build your own paging network
> with towers and access points, I honestly don't think
> it's worth it. It's cheaper to go WiFi...

No ,No, NO!

Man, I would think that since EVERYONE on this list uses technology that is
3-4 years out of date(!) that we would all "think out of the box" a bit when
it comes to these kinda questions...

I don't kow about y'all, but in Houston there are pager companies out the
Kazoo(!) that utilize technology that is a few years off... not everyone uses
the most modern equipment & bandwidths and such....

Now, these companies are usually combination car stereo shops, and/or in the
corner of flea markets and such(!)... and there are frankly alot of these
"corner pager marts" in areas where mostly minorities live. In my neighorhood
alone there are several little pager shops within walking distance from my
house.

(now 4 the rant)

U know, it has always amazed me at how some of us computer geeks can get such
a woodie(!) when it comes to new(er) technology.... but what does it all mean
anyway? By definition, all of this stuff is eventually doomed to
obsolete-ness....

Weren't we all basking in the newness of our Newtons at one time?? I can
remember when people used to stop& stare when I pulled out my MP100 at the
checkout line! Now, it is a different tune; the other day in Office Depot the
salesman said, when I opened my purse and he saw my 120 "Wow... never seen a
PDA that BIG...!"
>:-(

...to which I replied "Yeah; you probably never seen one this old and still
working either..."

Anyway, it always irks me whenever I express a problem with any of my older
technology - which to say ANY of my technology - and I get responses like
"YEah! U fix your Newton by GOING AND BUYING A PALM PILOT!" Yeah. Great.
Thanks, man....Whaaateveeeerrrrrrr...

We all need to get a grip. The only persons benefitting from all of this are
the companies who come out w/ new stuff that makes their less-than-a-year-old
previous line entirely obsolete... and don;t get me wrong; I can understand
genuine advances like DC-Roms or USB, but some of these "advances" are
nothing more than prettier packaging.

So, don't be so dang-blammed SMART-ALEC-Y when U are dealing w/ a question
about older technology... chances are you paid 150% more for whatever U are
using, and is basicly does the same thing as the item you're wailin' on; just
a bit faster/prettier/gadget-ier!

(I guess that's why some folks tell U what some outdated item they're selling
cost when it was NEW, as if it matters?!?)

>:-D

My $.02...

Craig W.