[NTLK] The incredible, flexible Newton

From: Doug Parker (dougparker_at_progressdata.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 13:59:03 EDT

This week where I work is PMTD, or People Make the Difference. It's a week
of nice things that HR and management does for the employees--breakfast,
surprises, lunch, games, some pre-approved time during the week to goof off
a little. This year I volunteered to be on the planning board.

Today's events included a localized version of Family Feud (R), renamed to
fit our company name. :-) Yours truly was the emcee.

I wanted to have the Feud theme song playing in the background while I
announced the game and the rules. I found a wav file of the Family Feud
theme on the web. But last night I found out that both computers in the room
were missing sound cards--thus no theme song.

Enter my trusty Newt. Back at my workstation--with its sound card--I created
a new recording, held the microphone to the speaker, and let WMP play the
song through. Recording in hand, I went back to the conference room and had
the Newton play the theme song in the background.

I am such a geek, but it got some huge smiles!

Doug
Orlando, FL