Re: [NTLK] bootstrapping success

From: peter brigg (pbrigg_at_uoguelph.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 10:18:49 EDT

"Bootstrapping" is a military term based on the image of lifting
yourself off the ground by pulling upwards on the straps on your own
boots. This is impossible, of course, but the image refers to problems
where you cannot do B before you do A but you cannot do A until you
have done B. Such vicious circles have to be thought around.

Example: The computer won't boot but the only way to fix the software
is to run a repair programme (except that it has to be booted to run
the programme).

pb