Re: [NTLK] Repentance and Reformation

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 14:39:03 EDT

On 24/10/02 14:30, "Bruce Guthrie" <bmgu3_at_chartermi.net> wrote:

> I am glad I am not a great man, I enjoy the fact no one wants me, well
> except my kids and the new wife. She stands next to me, that way if one
> gets hit the other can try to figure where it came from. Man glad I live
> in MI not DC.

Good for you!

-Laurent.

gang bang n.: The use of large numbers of loosely coupled programmers in an
attempt to wedge a great many features into a product in a short time.
Though there have been memorable gang bangs (e.g., that over-the-weekend
assembler port mentioned in Steven Levy's "Hackers"), and large numbers of
loosely-coupled programmers operating in bazaar mode can do very useful work
when they're not on a deadline, most are perpetrated by large companies
trying to meet unrealistic deadlines; the inevitable result is enormous
buggy masses of code entirely lacking in orthogonality. When market-driven
managers make a list of all the features the competition has and assign one
programmer to implement each, the probability of maintaining a coherent (or
even functional) design goes to epsilon. See also firefighting, Mongolian
Hordes technique, Conway's Law.