Re: [NTLK] q's about 120

From: d0pp13r (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 17:44:17 EDT

On 2002-10-26 10.09, "newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net" <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net=

wrote:

> So, here's my questions:
> - the connect cable. Should I spring for one off of ebay, or use one of =
the
> wiring diagrams I've found on the net to either build one myself (I can s=
older
> fairly well), or get my local custom cable shop to make one? Are the dia=
grams
> on the net generally accurate?

why not use a regular serial cable? i thought they were OK... otherwise ask
someone on the list if you want to buy one, i bet we all have spare cables
we can part from...

i know many people soldered their own cables, so i dont see a reason for wh=
you shouldnt do it. once you do, you could solder two or three cables for
backup purposes and various locations (home, work, printer etc.)
=20
> - recommended software. Once I've got my cable, what are some of the "mu=
st
> have" or "killer" Newton apps that would run well on a 120? What apps do=
 you
> folks love? How many apps can I reasonably expect to fit on the 120?

i think that you will need a memory card first. since the 120 has very
little built-in flash, you will need it for storing data that you want
accessible even when you eject a card - data such as dates, names, notes an=
others.

i would recommend you the following software for the 120:

* a smart, heapsaving backdrop
* different small add-ons that enhance the system and built-in apps (try!)
* some type of alarm clock other than the built-in
* books that you make yourself - manuals, reference material, etc

also, i like speakable alarmas, so i would recommend those packages, even
though they take a considerable amount of space.
 =20
> - 120 vs. the 2100's. How happy long term do you think I will be with th=
> 120? If I'm happy right now with a Palm M100 (slow, only 2 meg of RAM), =
will
> the 120 stack up fairly favorably?

i think yes, even though a 130 would have been more "#=E2=82=AC%& for the $. the =
one
thing that you dont get on a 120 is the backlight, which would drive me
crazy. ive always used an mp2000 until this summer, when i got a 2100. the
upgrade really made me wonder what took me so long - now i can really surf
online databases, pop mail and use wireless. on the 2000, the heap would no=
always allow doing that. also i like the idea of having two PCMCIA slots fo=
various reasons - if one breaks, i will still have a backup, and if i use a
memory card, i still have one free for communications. NIE2 and ethernet is
a no-go on the 120, but then again, it all depends what you will use your
newt for,

> - durability. How durable/reliable are Newtons as a whole? If I commit =
> using the Newton full time as my primary PDA, should I consider getting a
> backup unit just in case?

a 120/130 is probably the most durable machine in the newton line, since it
has a late design for that form factor. also, the 2x00 has a larger and thu=
more fragile screen. i think *a lot* of people still use their 120/130ies,
after all those years.

                      roman pixell

_________karmatic_experience_group__

         mailto: roman_at_pixell.net