Re: [NTLK] Attn: Keepers of the FAQ

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:59:53 EST

And the punchline is...

You can ignore the -48807 error. Just tap the X, and proceed to use the
ethernet card. I do it every day.

Though I must admit originally I thought that the error meant the card
wouldn't work too. (The secret is to go ahead and try anyways.) Both
my 'downgraded' eMate 2.2 and on my MP2100 with the original unpatched
2.1 I encounter the error.

I think the error means 'Unassigned Variable' or something. Anyhow, the
original OS 2.1 and OS 2.2 do not have a variable for something that is
in the ethernet card, probably in the Newton Devices package. So when
you insert an ethernet card, there is a string which it tries to read or
send or something but the OS doesn't have it, so it gives you that
message. It has nothing to do with the operation of the card. I think
the variable it's looking for is the ethernet card's manufacturer name
string or something. I happened to plug in my Wavelan card once while
my newton was connected to the NTK inspector, and it popped right up on
the screen with all the details.

So to summarize, the -48807 error upon insertion of an ethernet card,
can be ignored. The card will (should) work fine.

-Stephanie