Re: [NTLK] Appletalk print queue

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 20:46:49 EST

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 10/29/02 8:03 PM, the entity
known as Jeremy Bond Shepherd transmitted the following from
jbond_at_jameswhale.com:

> I've heard various vague references to the ability to "export" a simulated
> Appletalk print queue from a Windows or Unix box that will receive a print
> job via Appletalk and then bridge the job to an IP (or serial or parallel I
> suppose) connected printer.

It's been a long time since I knew any details, but have you heard of
'Netatalk'? Try googling for it, IIRC it was sorta like having an
AppleShare Server on your UN*X box.

> Does this ring any bells? Has anybody accomplished this? I have
> Windows-networked laser printers at the office, and at home I have an
> inkjet connected to my OSX Mac via USB. I can reach neither from my Newton
> over Ethernet.

I'm guessing then that AppleTalk Bridge (or whatever its called) doesn't
work under Classic?

- Eric.