Re: [NTLK] Pauls future direction...

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 02:26:08 EST

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 12:07 , Paul Guyot wrote:

> Actually, building a TSoundCodec is fairly simple.
> You need to create a protocol implementing the TSoundCodec interface
> with the following methods:

Ok. so the way to do it is to first create a p-class interface for
TSoundCodec and derive the MP3 codec from that as a p-class
implementation. I was under the impression that the specific codecs rely
on some more shared functionality, especially registering the codec...
how would registering and de-registering work with a replacement
TSoundCodec p-class interface? Via the name server or automatically
using the packager?

One thing which might be however critical is the fact that MP3 data is
made up of frames (which can have varying length). A player application
must schedule only complete frames, otherwise, any imcomplete frame will
simply be dropped. While it is not too complicated to calculate the
length of a frame, it is also a bit time consuming. But hopefully it's
not a showstopper...

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html