Re: [NTLK] Appletalk print queue

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 06:59:53 EST

Subject:
Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote :

>I've heard various vague references to the ability to "export" a simulated
>Appletalk print queue from a Windows or Unix box that will receive a print
>job via Appletalk and then bridge the job to an IP (or serial or parallel I
>suppose) connected printer.
> I have Windows-networked laser printers at the office, and at home I
>have an
>inkjet connected to my OSX Mac via USB. I can reach neither from my Newton
>over Ethernet.

Inkjets, I'm not sure there's a easy solution even if you get a bridge set
up for the Appletalk; how many inkjets are postscript? You would indeed
need the virtual queue that also acts as a driver for that inkjet...
perhaps as someone said Ghostscript might be able to do something.

For postscript laser printers though, if they have a parallel port there
are old hardware devices that would hook up to postscript printers parallel
port and route appletalk between them and ethernet; I have one that I use
to put my old Apple NTR laser printer (which has serial or parallel
connections only) on my ethernet network at home, so I can print to it via
appletalk.

The NTR of course is a localtalk printer so I'm not sure how much the
hardware bridge is "doing" besides the serial to ethernet, but I can try
and find the manual and see, or test it with a HP 5L postcript laser and
see if any postscript printer on the other side will become magically
accessable for appletalk/ethernet printing. IIRC it will but I've not
looked at the manual for ages.

If it looks useful I'll post model #'s etc.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html