Re: [NTLK] Importing RTF file to NewtonWorks

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 23:44:01 EST

on 30/10/02 23:03, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:

> Today at work I hooked up my Newton to a PC for the first time, and had
> great success importing big (~450K) RTF files saved with Word 97 into
> NewtonWorks.
>
> Came home and tried to do the same thing on a Mac (NCU/Classic/Jaguar,
> AppleTalk over ethernet) but I can't get it to work. Specifically, I can't
> see any of my files in NCU's Open dialog box. I've tried saving them as RTF
> with Word, as well as changing the "Open with..." pref to Word 98 (classic)
> and to TextEdit.
>
> As a matter of fact, when I use "Import to NewtonWorks", the only files that
> are visible in the Open dialog seem to be the plain text files.
>
> I've checked the FAQ & list archives, but haven't found anything on this.
> It's supposed to be do-able according to the NCU documentation. I can't
> believe this very useful (to me) function is only going to work with Windows
> and not on a Mac! Anybody have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

I've never seen this problem, but try to add the 'rtf' extension at the end
of the file, if it's not there already. You could try a resource editor tool
(like ResEdit) to check the file type.

Other than that, I don't know. Are you sure you have all the extensions that
come with NCU installed and enabled?

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

frag n.,v.: [from Vietnam-era U.S. military slang via the games Doom and Quake] 1. To kill another player's avatar in a multiuser game. "I hold the office Quake record with 40 frags." 2. To completely ruin something. "Forget that power supply, the lightning strike fragged it. See also gib.