Re: [NTLK] OT Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:41:30 EST

on 31/10/02 09:30, Zachery Bir at zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:

> On Thursday, Oct 31, 2002, at 09:01 US/Eastern, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:
>
>> My PB G3 250MHz WallStreet with OS 9.1 is about 2-3 times faster than
>> any G3
>> running Jaguar and about the same speed as a G4 Cube. At our recent
>> Newton
>> meeting one of us was using Jaguar on a WallStreet and it was very
>> slow with
>> 192MB of RAM - I would consider it unacceptable for serious work.
>
> That's a blanket statement if ever I heard one. What kind of serious
> work? For what I do, anything less than Mac OS X would be useless.
> <statment type="blanket">Frankly, for anyone doing more than one thing
> at a time, anything less than Mac OS X is mostly useless.</statement>

I agree. Mac OS X might not feel as "snappy" as an older version, but it
more than compensate this with the far superior multitasking core and the
memory management. Gone are the days where you have to specify how much
memory you give to an application. I guess I'm also making a "blanket"
statement? ;-)

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1) choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally, to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."