Re: [NTLK] OT Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: William R. Dickson (wrd_at_awenet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 09:45:42 EST

On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 06:01 AM, Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

>> Am thinking about switching from OS 9.2 to X.2 on my PowerBook Wall
>> Street
>> G3/400. My main concern is speed of operation. Has anyone on the list
>> made
>> the switch using the same PowerBook? Can anyone recommend a site that
>> shows
>> speed of operation on different Mac models?
>
> My PB G3 250MHz WallStreet with OS 9.1 is about 2-3 times faster than
> any G3
> running Jaguar and about the same speed as a G4 Cube. At our recent
> Newton
> meeting one of us was using Jaguar on a WallStreet and it was very
> slow with
> 192MB of RAM - I would consider it unacceptable for serious work.

OS X loves RAM -- 192MB isn't enough. My G4 Cube with 448MB RAM, and
my wife's 366MHz iBook with 320MB RAM, get about the same performance
with Jaguar as they did with 9.2. Some things are a bit faster, some
are a bit slower. But the multitasking is _much_ better, and the
stability is out of this world.

-Bill

--
  William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since
1968

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

-The Man With No Name _A Fistful of Dollars_