Re: [NTLK] Is the dongle essential?

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:54:56 PDT

on 9/3/02 8:37 AM, Paul Vaughan at paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Is it only possible to connect the 2100 to an older
> Mac with the dongle?

    Your connection choices are dongle+serial cable, SER-001+serial cable,
and ethernet.

    If you're going to go the serial route and aren't afraid of opening your
Newt to do an installation go with the excellent SER-001. It gives your Newt
a standard Mac serial port and, unlike a dongle, is very hard to lose. You
can order at http://www.members.tripod.com/mrpcbman/SER-001.htm. It will
cost about the same as a dongle, but is worth every cent.

    If you just want to go ethernet, that can be done by getting a backup of
the necessary software on a memory card and restoring it to your Newt. I've
done this for other list members. Contact me off list for details.

Peter