Re: [NTLK] Sharing DSL Connection

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 20:44:17 PDT

on 9/3/02 11:08 PM, Brian Carstensen at reggie.lives_at_netzero.com wrote:
> How hard is a router to set up?
    Pretty simple. All you have to do is set the computers for DHCP server
and give the router your PPPoE settings and away you go. I had a Linksys
(BEFSR41 router/4 port switch) that worked quite well until it got fried by
lightning. I now have an SMC Barricade (7004ABR router/4 port switch) which
I'm not quite as happy with but it works and will cost me about $70 CDN
after rebate.

    Both handle AppleTalk over ethernet just fine. The SMC doesn't work so
well with my auto-sensing Farallon PCI card though and I've had to force the
card to 10Mbps (the speed of the DSL modem) to get things to work. Works
great with the 3Com in the Newton, the Farallon etherwave in the PowerBook
and built-in ethernet in a 7100 though.

Peter