Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 08:34:47 PDT

When I went through the airport in San Francisco, I
requested to have my film hand checked as allowed by
FAA regulation 108.17, section 5e. They refused and
said that EVERYTHING must go through the scanner.
(note, every other airport hand checked my film when I
asked) Lucky for me, I had a copy of the regulation
with me printed out and showed the security drone who
promptly muttered something that may have been
english, but I'm not sure...and took it to his boss.
He admitted that film can be hand checked (hint, put
your film in a clear plastic ziplock baggie so that
they can see the file clearly! I read where one
photographer printed up professional looking lables
that read 1600ASA so that the security drones wouldn't
have a reason to balk...but not recommended for people
who don't develop their own film...)
But he said that the PDA and all computing equipment
MUST be scanned and the regulation only mentions Film
in particular.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Mark Bock <markbvt_at_adelphia.net> wrote:

> >on 9/4/02 10:03 AM, Mark Bock at
> markbvt_at_adelphia.net wrote:
> >
> >> I've done this with a Handspring Visor (after
> 9/11) that I generally
> >> carry in my jacket pocket when travelling.
> Security doesn't bat an
> >> eye at the entire Visor being placed in the
> key/wallet tray. I doubt
> >> they'll question a RAM card.
> >
> >Except, of course, that the key/wallet tray goes on
> the very same conveyor!
> >No advantage to what you're saying and possibly a
> negative, since the Newt
> >would act to shield the RAM card, at least a bit.
>
> I've never had them put the key/wallet tray on the
> conveyor. They
> always just go through it by hand.
>
> --mark

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party