Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 08:55:34 PDT

on 9/4/02 11:14 AM, Mark Bock at markbvt_at_adelphia.net wrote:

>> Very odd. Since 9/11 I've never seen them go thru it by hand. I was pretty
>> sure it was required procedure now. What airport is this where they don't
>> run it thru the x-ray?
>
> I flew to Europe in December, and as I recall the key/wallet tray was
> hand-examined at every airport enroute where I had to pass through
> security (Burlington, Dulles, Amsterdam). If you think about it,
> hand-searching these makes far more sense because the few things
> these trays contain are metal or contain large concentrations of
> metal. On an x-ray screen you won't see as much detail as a
> hand-search will uncover in the same amount of time.

Interesting, because the last time I flew out of Dulles (last October), they
were not even presenting you with that option. The security person was
specifically directing people to place the tray on the conveyor. It's been
that way every time I've flown since then, at all airports I've been thru.
I'd be interested to hear others' experience on this.

BTW, I agree that examining by hand would make more sense.

- Eric.

The odds are greatly against you being immensely smarter than everyone
else in the field. If your analysis says your terminal velocity is
twice the speed of light, you may have invented warp drive, but the
chances are a lot better that you've screwed up.