[NTLK] Emulation on newt / Newton Programming is a PAIN!

From: J. Eagan Rackley (jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 20:48:32 PDT

I'm just getting used to programming for the newt :). While I generally
like the interface, love the newton, and think that everything is very
well laid out and is quite useful, it is killing me that I don't have
more freedom with C++ (though I do like having it available to me:).

What I don't understand is, why can't we create global variables in some
way? If you can create them in NS, why isn't there an interface in the
MPW newton libs that allows you to do the same thing? (maybe I'm wrong?)

I suppose I'm just set in my ways, but I hate using languages that lack
type checking. It just feels a little icky to me:).

Anyhoo for anyone that's interested I'm working on an Emu for the newt.
I'm still getting familiar with the environment, but it is coming along.
I don't think it's going to be anything but slow for the first several
iterations, but maybe one day;) (maybe).

I'm just curious, but is there any interest for more games on the
newton? I am torn between gameboy emulation (which is great since it
doesn't use more colors than the newt has available, and was my 1st
intention), and PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 emulation (because I am
intimately familiar with the inner workings of this system, (and all of
its display information is based off of 4bit data, which could convert
nicely with a few palette hacks)).

I think anything I tried to emulate would have to be from the 8bit
console generation. What do you guys think? Any requests?

Anyway, no real point to my post. I just wanted to get the newton
programming gripe off my chest, and get a feel for how interested you
guys would be in what I want to do:).

The newt is definitely more work that I had first thought, but it's
worth every minute.

-Eagan Rackley

P.S. Does anyone have some good information on capturing keyboard input
from C++ or NS?