Re: [NTLK] notes from the dark side...

From: Larry Zasitko (l.zasitko_at_sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 15:11:59 PDT

I think that most of here have newtons and still use them because they offer
some things that the newer generation of pda's does not. It is hard to put
into words exactly what but....

We also tend to be equipment junkies (my wifes words!) and I too have
several of the competition. I originally bought an OMP and then found a 110
for almost nothing and then before the Newton store in Toronto closed I
bought a 2100. I had looked at a 130 but the price difference was not as
much as I expected so went with the 2100. I also bought a Palm Pilot when
they first hit the market but was never happy with it, screen to small and
at that time limited programs. I also tried a Psion which I really liked
(better then the Palm at any rate) and still have it (one of my boys now
uses it). I bought a Jornada about a year ago and for a lot of things it is
also a good machine but again the small screen is limiting for databases or
spreadsheets. I bought the pocket PC because of one program, truth be told,
and that is Pocket Cad which lets me take my autocad drawings out into the
field and do minor mods right there. But for some reason I keep going back
to the Newton for most everything else. I don't use the Newton for music (I
use my minidisc's for that) and for pictures I use the colour jornada and
again the answer is pretty simple, the Jornada can read the little cf card
that my digital camera uses. For project management, spreadsheets, databases
I still use the Newton amd most of my daily schedule still is on the 2100. I
just think the Newton programs are much better than any palm or pocket PC
stuff that I have seen and tried.

Larry Zasitko
OMP, 110, 120, 2100
Jornada 548, Psion S2, Psion Siena, Palm Pilot