Re: [NTLK] Looking for battery MP2100 recommendations

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 00:23:34 PDT

> [mailto:newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net]On Behalf Of Laurent Daudelin
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Looking for battery MP2100 recommendations

> on 05/09/02 21:12, William Reich at wreich_at_williamreich.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all -
> >
> > Just bought a MP2100 that came with a battery tray.
> >
> > 1st Question:
> >
> > What do you find works the best - an original rechargeable
> > battery pack, or using the battery tray with rechargeable batteries?
>
> The original rechargeable pack, of course. You just keep it in
> and plug the
> Newton to recharge it. No need to have a separate charger around, as you
> would need with a battery tray, since you can't recharge rechargeable
> batteries in a battery tray, in the Newton.

Cannot fully agree to that.
Nowadays the NiMH rechargeables are available with a capacity of up to 2000
mAhours or more. This is more than double the capacity of the original
battery pack. Thus the achieved extended operation time for the newt might
justify the need to charge them externally.
But there is also the possibility to modify the Battery tray in order to get
the NiMHs in the battery tray charged inside the Newt.
See http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/Naccu/Naccu.html
Or you get an old original battery pack and refurbish it:
http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html

> > 2nd Question:
> >
> > For the battery tray option, I hear rechargeable Lithium-ion
> > batteries are the way to go. Any recommendations on a source for a
> > charger and batteries, that won't break the bank?

Recently there was a long thread on LiIons:
to make it short: the conclusion was to stay with the high performance
NiMHs.
- Li-Ions have a different voltage and need some effort to match it to the
Newt
- Li-Ions are difficult to recharge, you need a special charger, so probably
there is no chance ever to charge them in the Newt

Johannes