Re: [NTLK] How to get started writing newton apps?

From: Daedalus (daedalus1_at_telocity.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 22:43:47 PDT

Hi William--

>>I am looking to get started writing apps for the Newton.
>>Is there a good FAQ on how to get started?

There is a good introduction to Newton programming in the Newton FAQs here:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html

There's also a Newton Programmer's website here:

http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/NEWTtools/index.html

>>I am looking for recommendations on what is the best platform to develop
>>on, compilers, programming languages, etc.

The Newton Tool Kit (NTK) is the traditional programming environment for =
making Newton apps, and is available on both Macs and Windows PCs. =
NewtonScript is the language used with NTK. NewtonScript was developed =
primarily from the Self programming language (which was developed at Sun =
Microsystems). Here's a good brief explanation of the origins of =
NewtonScript:

http://wsmith.best.vwh.net/Self-intro.html

There is also NSBasic, which is a form of Basic for the Newton.

If you want to develop on the Newton itself, look into NewtDevEngine.

--Daedalus
http://www.digitalinkwell.net/