Re: [NTLK] wavelan card voltages

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 13:42:49 PDT

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, scOtty Technoir wrote:

> i just downloaded the latest waveLan package from the 'Driver Labo' and am
> delighted to see that it works with my DLink dwl-650. however, it also says
> this on Hiroshi's page:
>
> ### Caution ###
> Voltage of cards must be 5.0V.
> If you use 3.3V cards, it will break both the cards and Newton !!
>
> and it says on back of the dwl-650 that it's 3.3v card. am i running a
> serious risk here?

Erm... YES.

The Newton is only designed to provide 5V and 12V to PC Cards. If your
card is 3.3V, and you insert it into the Newton and it feeds 5V to the
card, there's an excellent chance that your card will turn into a little
metal paperweight. What I'm trying to say is:

PUTTING A 3.3V PC CARD INTO YOUR NEWTON WILL PROBABLY DESTROY IT. DON'T
DO IT.

Ahem. Yes.