Re: [NTLK] coming back to the fold

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 05:23:06 PDT

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, TT Mooney wrote:

> i have a couple of questions, though. hopefully y'all will be able to
> help out.
>
> 1) is serial really the only starting point? i was hoping to find out
> that ethernet drivers were built-in for some cards and thus i could
> skip getting the serial gear, which of course didn't come with the
> newton i bought.

Yes, it really is, unless you have a friend who can put the necessary
files on a card for you.

> 2) is there any real reason to spend a load of cash on a newton power
> adapter rather than getting a cheaper generic one?

The Newton power adapter is regulated, meaning it will always output
torect voltage. Most cheap generic adapters are unregulated, meaning that
their voltage output varies depending on the amount of current drawn. For
example, I have a generic multi-voltage 1A AC adapter. When I set it to
12V and measure its voltage with a multimetre, it measures around 19V.
Voltage differences on adapters like these CAN KILL YOUR NEWT. If you
must get a generic, make sure it is regulated (go to a good electronics
parts store), and check its output with a multimetre before your plug it
into your Newt. It should never output over 7.5V.

> 3) what software does everyone consider essential? i'd love to have
> imap, ssh, web (with tables and maybe frames) and vnc for communication
> needs, a learning remote program and other cool stuff.

SimpleMail does IMAP and POP3:
http://www.simple.dial.pipex.com/

Newt's Cape does web with tables, frames, cookies, but no SSL:
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#NewtsCape

newtVNC is a VNC client *and* server:
http://ww.wkagi.com/weyer/#VNC

There is no SSH client. There will never be a "learning" remote because
the Newton's IR hardware cannot receive TVIR signals, only send them.
There are some remotes out there though, such as ShowMate.

> 4) what are the options for backup and install under macos x? are npi
> and nbu working under classic? who wants to write the isync driver?

(insert response from a Mac user here)

> 5) are there any friendly apple certified service providers on the list?

Not unless they're lurkers...