Re: [NTLK] iCal <--> Dates app possibilities

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 06:37:35 PDT

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Sean Luke wrote:

> Given that I'm a NeXTSTEP developer who also does Newton stuff, I
> figure that *if* iCal has an open protocol, it's feasible to do a sync
> between the two. But I don't know enough about the data formats of
> either program, nor the transfer protocols on the machines. Anyone
> want to suggest approaches to writing such a beast?

I would, beg, poke, prod, and pay Steve Weyer to add a TCP/IP endpoint to
Sloup. Sloup's entryspecs are dead easy to write - I've been using them
with NewtDump for quite some time now. I haven't released a version in a
while, but the latest build of NewtDump on my machine exports from:

Inbox/Outbox e-mail -> text
Dates -> vCalendar * doesn't do repeat meetings yet
Notes -> text
Names -> vCard
Names -> CSV
Package -> PKG
Quotes -> text
Fortunes -> text
Newt's Cape bookmarks -> Mozilla/Netscape
Newt's Cape bookmarks -> IE Favourites
Avi's BD Scribblepad

Sloup is powerful and easy to use. It's drawback is that it only supports
serial.