[NTLK] eMate battery pack rebuild - parts IDs?

From: Dan K (dankephoto_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 16:50:47 PDT

I bought an eMate and of course the battery pack was NG with one dead
cell. I bought an 8 cell 1600mh NiMH RC pack at Radio Shack (~$25) and
having used half of it to rebuild the battery which came with the eMate,
I'd like to use the second half to build another.

However, the temp sensor and the other thingy on the bottom are unknown
quantities to me. Does anyone know what the specs are on the temp sensor,
and what the heck is that other thingy? Other thingy is the flat little
sandwich connecting the two rows of cells at the end opposite the
power-wire connections.

The plug I figure I can locate pretty easily from Digikey, but I'm at a
loss about the other two. Of course I could just build a pack without
those two bits, but I'm thinking that perhaps Apple put them there for a
reason . . . : >)

Hmm, and I'm sure I'm not the first eMate owner to wonder how to use
standard NiMH AA cells in place of a battery pack. I'd also like to be
able to quickly and easily replace the main battery without having to
keep a Torx8 nearby . . . Plus, what happens to the eMate when one
removes the main battery for a moment when changing it? All settings lost?

Anyone already solve these so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel?

TIA,

Dan K

Newt MP120/2.0 and now an eMate
       &