Re: [NTLK] Any solutions for a dull screen?

From: JonTurner (jon.turner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:53:33 PDT

> > On my 2100 I notice that the screen is darker than my 120 even when
> > they are both switched off. It can't get any lighter, only darker, when
> > it's on. So on my 2100, the contrast is never as good as it is on the
> > 120, and I don't think there are any tweaks that can improve it. Of
> > course, turning on the backlight makes the background lighter and
> > improves the contrast.
>
> > So how do others with multiple Newtons think they compare? Are your
> > screens about the same brightness (power off) or does the 2100 look
> > darker?
>
> Same here. Contrast/sharpness seems to be noticably better on my 130's
> screen
> than on my UMP2K. Even the backlight is brighter on 130.

Perhaps your 130's backlight has fewer hours on it. The lifespan of the
backlight is rated at 2100 hours (if I remember correctly... somebody
correct me if I'm wrong) and it gradually dims as it ages. If you purchased
your units used, there's no telling the # of hours so that may explain it.

Another idea, and excuse me if this is too basic a suggestion, but have you
double-tapped the contrast slider control and "recentered"/recalibrated it?
That will give you a wide range of contrast settings.

--
Jon