Re: [NTLK] Linux on Newton 2100

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 04:28:40 PDT

Will,

> I think you're both on the same page, tear the guts out of Newt OS and
> re-build it (ground up) on an embedded Linux kernel. That way, the things we
> like about the newton, stay with the newton, and the things we like about
> linux, stay with the newton...

Irrespective of the technical merits and possibilities of doing this, if you
have the ideas and the energy to try moving the PDA forwards, the place to
start is not with the technology but with the interface.

The way you use and interact with the machine is the steel structure and the
foundations upon which everything else is built. Having a model of the user
interactions will shape every aspect of how the machine will be designed and
this, not the underpinnings, will be what makes your PDA a compelling tool
that will excite developers and users alike.

We are awash in computers but only very few have been worth the trouble and
all of those in the GUI era put usability innovations first.

All the best for your project,

Joel.