Re: [NTLK] Upgrade MP130?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 10:58:57 PDT

on 9/20/02 1:15 PM, Robert Lindsley at me_at_robertlindsley.com wrote:

> I am thinking about getting another Newton. I would like to get an MP130,
> but I have a question. Is the MP130 upgradable to 2.1, or am I stuck with
> 2.0?

Nope, the only "upgrade" for a 130 is to go on eBay and get a 2x00. That
said, I've spent much of my computing life firmly behind the curve, so I've
not even considered wireless. I think, though, that if you want to do much
more than get text e-mail, your best bet is a 2x00 Newt. Personally, the
HWR on the 130 is plenty fast enough (but the last time I wrote cursive,
other than my signature, was whenever the last time they forced me to in
elementary school) and the size is just right for me. So there's your
tradeoff: If your needs are fairly simple, the 130 is just about perfect,
but if you want to do web, MP3 and all that, you'd likely be best served by
a 2x00.

(The other factor is that when I bought, the 130's were going for about what
the 2x00's go for now. And the 2x00's were all in the $300 or more range.
If I were buying now, I'd say the heck with size. The difference in cost
vs. the difference in capability means it almost makes no sense to 'settle'
for a lesser Newt.)

- Eric.