[NTLK] Re - To a subject that hadn't anything to do with the original one

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 16:24:20 PDT

> i wonder if h****r ever drank molson or watched mpegs?

Unlikely. Remember that Germany was a country in which radio
broadcasting was started on a regular basis only around
October 1923. And mpeg hadn't even been thought of.
State-of-the-art electronic
technology were tubes (that were these long glass things),
the transistor hadn't yet been invented (for those
youngsters who don't know what a transistor is: This was a
component that replaced the tubes. The last
ASIC I developed (Application Specific Integrated Circuit)
contained about two millions of those on about
two square inches).
A decent radio set had at least one tube. And it had to be
tuned veeeery
carefully, otherwise it would stop being a receiver and
become a transmitter, which usually resulted in
the neighbors setting fire on you. Color TV came about two
decades later. The first I fixed (Philips Goya)
had 27 tubes. An excellent investment if one lived in a flat
with an inferior heating system.

Frank

-- Newton Hardware and Software at http://www.pda-soft.de

Oops... sorry... gonna make this on-topic again... Newtons,
of course, weren't invented, either...