Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET ?

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 09:04:34 PDT

Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net) wrote:

> Well, they were still considered a network, since you could use them to do
> file and printer sharing.

You could use LocalTalk for virtually anything you would use a network
for, including internet access. Back in the early 90s, we had a PhoneNet
network running through a four story building -- actually there were
three or four networks like this, in different buildings, all connected
to an ethernet backbone. I could select a laser printer in a different
AppleTalk zone (in a different building, about 5 kilometers away), so a
co-worker in that building could fetch my paper from his local LaserWriter.

And these networks were rock solid (if terminated properly).

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de