Re: [NTLK] Newton Message Card? and a freebie

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 22:02:19 PDT

Once upon a time, in the before time (before Palm,
that is) There was actually a verticle market for the
Newton.
That card you have there is a vestige of that era. Of
course, like most other vintage Newton services, that
card is basically worthless now. It was a pager
receiver for the Newton. It could receive pages while
disconnected from the Newt and when you inserted it
into the Newt, all the received pages would appear as
messages in your inbox. Really cool and was a
wonderful product! I used one for years (I used that,
and the Socket pager card and finally my AllPoints
card) My Newton was my primary email device and these
services were well served while they lasted. Alas, all
the above devices are defunct...not through any fault
of the Newton, but by the service providers who are no
longer in business or no longer support these ancient
devices of communication.
It is at best, a conversation piece, at worse, a
museum piece.
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Travis <ferrit_at_oznet.com> wrote:

> Picked up a box of Newton bits and found a new to me
> card when I got
> home. Some of the info on the back is:
> Newton Messaging Card
> A05KWC4373AA
> 931.8875 MHz
> Serial # 489BTS253N
> DOC/MDC 109 011 279 KQMA
>
> MobileComm a Bell South Co. is on the "AAA" battery
> holder.
> Is this just a analog, Apple email only? Or can it
> do something
> interresting?

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party