Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET ?

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 06:09:50 PDT

-->"Jeremy" == Jeremy Bond Shepherd <jbond_at_jameswhale.com> writes:

>> I have a pair of neat little boxes that do AppleTalk via infra
>> red ... NCU across the room ... sorta like wireless.

  Jeremy> Wow, I want one of those. Where did you get it, and what is
  Jeremy> it called?

they're called "Photonics Cooperative", and where made by Photonics
Inc in San Jose (i think), before they were bought out and the
products killed.

they even made Newton-specific models for the 110-130 body shape.

they work remarkably well -- i have been using them to surf wirelessly
since the NIE localtalk support was released. we used to have a bunch
of rooms wired up with IR adaptors on PhoneNET, connected to a
GatorBox router, which did the decapsulation of IP packets tunnelled
over Appletalk. a group of Newton users in my company were doing
wireless email, web surfing, etc with these in the late 90's.

i have a box full if anyone wants a couple and will pay shipping from
Australia ...