Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET ?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 07:55:21 PDT

Hmmm, I guess I'm a bit spoiled then.
I've had a home computer network since the early '80s.
(and worked on a DG network in high-school in the
'70s...serial networking!)
My most sucessful network was with a Radio Shack Color
Computer running OS-9, multi-user OS with a custom
ROM. I tapped into some unused wires in the house
phone system and had 2 old Tectronix VDTs (dumpster
diving triumphs!) that I had placed in various places
in the house. (this same CoCo machine also had voice
recognition with a 360 word library and ran a BBS that
was part of the Fido network) I was able to have
multiple users log into my "server" and have their own
"space" as well as shared space! Never took off
though...parents and sister weren't impressed! (but
look mom! If you want ANY of your recipies, you just
type it in and they come up! And it they're not there,
send me a message with the electronic message service
to pop in your recepie floppy!...all this while having
this 100 pound, 3 foot by 2 foot Tectronix VDT sitting
on the kitchen counter making an ungodly amount of
noise!)
I have had my machines networked ever since!
Heck, I even built a network using the power sockets
in my parents house! Using technology I learned from
my Lionel train system and those stereo speakers that
plug into the wall outlets, I modified them to carry
data signals (analog of course) so that all I had to
do is plug my computer network connection into the
power outlet to get connectivity! That was short lived
though when a lightening storm brought everything
crashing down and blowing up (literaly) tons of
paper-route money! My current network integrates
wireless and several remote devices. Heck, that's the
first thing I did when I bought my house...install
cat-5! Now I don't need it anymore! WiFi!
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Simon Muller <smullers_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> When I got in contact with apples for the first
> time, back in the early
> 90s,
> it was this Localtalk feature that blew my mind.
> As a fanatic Amiga user, I was used to make floppies
> for everything I
> wanted to use on another machine. Drinking lots of
> coffee while waiting
> for format- and copy commands to be finished.
> And here were machines that simply recognized each
> other, while
> connected with a simple telephone wire!
> It was fantastic, back then and still is now. All my
> old powerbooks and
> desktop-machines are hooked up every now and again.

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party