Re: [NTLK] GPS on 2100

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 23:07:45 PDT

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, ZUMWALT, DANNY P (SWBT) wrote:

> What is the best way to get GPS working on my newton 2100 upgrade?

I've been looking into this myself. So far the best solution I can come
up with is to use GPSMap Lite (free download) and hunt for a GPS PCMCIA
card such as the one made by Teletype. GPSMap Lite will require you to
scan a map and do a few measurements to calibrate it properly though.

I've seen some newer PCMCIA GPS cards out there along with Compact Flash
sister cards for other PDAs. I'm not sure if those PCMCIA-to-Compact
Flash adapters are just for memory cards or if they can also accept
a variety of Compact Flash modules. It's possible that a Compact Flash
GPS unit may be a more "compact" version of the PCMCIA format and usable
by the same drivers. Many of these devices are programmed to work on a
specific protocol so they're not locked to a single software source.
However Newton device drivers may be needed just to accept the stinkin'
card. So I'm still unsure about purchasing a card myself.

-Jeff