Re: [NTLK] Coveting my neighbour's Clié

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 03:00:07 PDT

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 21:26, Scott Roy Atwood wrote:
> * John Charlton <johncharlton_at_mac.com> [020924 18:04]:
> > How can I demonstrate the true awesome power of what the Newt
> > can do? What clever and magical things are there to be done
> > with 'Assist'? I was tapping around in MoreInfo trying to think
> > of a good demo for that (and the power of open soups) till six
> > in the morning.
> >
> > Suggestions anyone?
>
> * If enter someones birthday or anniversary in the Names application,
> a repeating event automatically appears in the Dates application.
>
> * You can select a Location and Invitees for a meeting in Dates from
> the contacts in Names. If you create a new person or company in the
> Meeting slip, it automatically shows up in Names.
>
> * You can view 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 days in a row at one time in
> Dates by dragging horizontally in the little calendar in Dates
>
> * You can view 2, 3, 4, or 5 of the same day of the week, for example,
> viewing your Tuesday schedule for the next three weeks, by dragging
> vertically in the little calendar in Dates.
>
> * If you are viewing multiple days, you can move a meeting from one day
> to another by simply dragging its icon. Likewise, you can change the
> length of a meeting by dragging its endpoint.
>
> * You can print, fax, and use wireless ethernet.

The Assist button is the key to some clever stuff as well. Most of it is
covered in the manuals, but e.g.:

- Tap Assist and write in the slip: "Remember fix roof monday". This opens
a to-do on the date of next monday with "fix roof" in the subject line.

- "Fax John" (provided you have a John in your Names stored) opens a fax
slip with John's name and fax number already filled in.

- "Time in Los Angeles" opens the time zone map and gives you the time in
LA.

- And so many more...

I don't think any of the Palmoids have that kind of AI built in at the
moment. Maybe the Wince machines have, but how can you tell? They usually
don't stay up long enough to find out [G].

--
Jazz.
"How to make God laugh?"