Re: [NTLK] [OT] Where can I get a G3?

From: johnsinho's! (johnsons_at_macbbs.com.br)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 08:53:40 PDT

W Izzy wrote:
> Recently I took my good old Power Mac G3 beige to the technician because
> some random strange behaviour. He told me that the processor was
dead and
> he offered to get one. Since I live in South America, this things are
> really hard to find and VERY expensive.

Where are you? I'm in Brazil (São Paulo-SP). Very similarly to you, I
have a MT-G3 beige too, that was 266 and now is 333.
This "DEAD PROCESSOR" diagnostic seems inaccurate.
What kind of strange misbehaviour was it? Did you (or the TechGuy) reset
the OpenFirmware (not the PRAM) to see if things could get back to
normal? Were you running OSX.x?
Mine also started to play jokes and BlackOuts on me. Turned out to be
faulty RAM.

> Maybe some of you guys know whether i can use a faster G3 in this machine
> (it´s got the latest motherboard revision) since it had a 266
overclocked to
> 300.

Be carefull. The motherborad revision isn't stablished this way. There
are other parameters to be seen ("Graphics Card", "Voltage Regulator"
and "ROM card" to tell a few).
So don't sing it's requiem just yet.
If you prefer to write in portuguese OFF-list, you're more than welcome.
Best wishes,
johnsinho's!