Re: [NTLK] Future 2100 owner?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 11:38:05 PDT

Andrew wrote:
> I am hoping to get an upgraded 2000 or 2100 and want to confirm a few
> things. And yes, I am considering going to eBay.
>
> Is the absolute bare minimum I that would need a 2x00 with a battery pack or
> holder? Initially, I want to be as cheap as possible. I plan on mainly
> using it for wireless web browsing and email. Is the built-in memory enough
> for that?

If you got a Newton with a rechargable battery pack, you'd need an AC adapter
to charge it, of course. Any Newton adapter will work with any model of Newton.

Your 4MB Internal would certainly be enough for web browsing and e-mail, as
long as you're not going to be storing e-mails for a long period of time.
Since you mention you're running Windows, you could use NewtDump to export
your old messages to Windows if you need to save any of them:

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/newtdump/

> I have a 120 (which I think is severely limited). Since I may not get a
> dongle, can I use the 120 to beam the wireless drivers to the 2x00? I have a
> wireless home network with machines running Win 2000 and OS 9. So I hope to
> be able to do everything via wireless. I also have a Kanga PowerBook, so I
> might be able to beam from that.

You can't beam the drivers from a 120, because the drivers will refuse to
install on a 120 (they require OS 2.1).

I don't know what a Kanga PowerBook is... is that a Mac? Codename or something?