[NTLK] 10.2 and NCU continued

From: Diana Oakley (dianajoakley_at_highstream.net)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 20:58:57 PDT

I tried everything suggested: had remembered that I had upgraded to
10.2.1; turned on Appletalk in 10.2.1 and 9.2.2; the system preferences
(in 10.2.2)/classic/advanced preference in home folder box was already
unchecked.

  I made sure that system preferences/network/appletalk is on - the
location selected to "automatic" because I don't have any locations
(the only part of all of this that I find confusing), I don't think,
since I'm only dealing with one computer and no real networks.

Whenever I open NCU from 10.2.1 which causes Classic to load and NCU
opens, it tells me that Appletalk isn't on, when I know it is because
if I reboot into 9.2.2 Appletalk is on. If I quit NCU and Classic and
then fully reboot in 9.2.2, Appletalk is indeed on.

I can just boot in 9.2.2 and connect via ethernet crossover cable to
NCU and my Newt. I can just boot in 10.2.1 and connect via ethernet
crossover cable to my PowerBook 190cs. And in both situations,
everything is just fine. I have yet to try the Newt and the Powerbook
via crossover cable and ethernet cards. When I had a 130 and eMate,
both did fine with the Powerbook via serial cable.

The most accurate response submitted for this situation was from Billy:

> I was also having this problem with this same setup when I
> upgraded to 10.2. As others had suggested, I booted into OS 9.2 and
> made sure that AppleTalk was on, etc. but this did not change
> anything (it might be necessary, but it wasn't sufficient). Turns
> out that I just couldn't use an Ethernet cross-over cable anymore.
> If I have both my Newton and my Powerbook hooked up directly to my
> router or connected through a hub, all is well. It seems that 10.2
> won't report to Classic apps like NCU that AppleTalk is active when
> using a cross-over cable for some reason. (Interestingly, the
> cross-over does work when I boot into 9.2.)

Since I don't often backup the Newt (living on the edge, I know), have
all the apps I want, and use a modem for internet stuff, I guess
rebooting the iMac into 9.2.2 occasionally is not a problem, especially
since I like 9.2.2 almost as much as I love 10.2.1. I guess I just
like stuff to work and if I could make the NCU from 10.2.2 work, it
would be great.

If anyone has any more light to shed on this, I would be very
interested. I'm appreciative of the advice that has been offered at
this point.

Thanks,
Diana

--If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up space.
                                                                                --- Joe Dunwoodie