Re: [NTLK] ? about wi-fi networking and the newton

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:40:17 PST

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Nathan Turnage wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I would like to start putting together a wi-fi network using 802.11g
> and
> want to know if you *must* use an Apple basestation to get the wireless
> thing happening for the Newt.
Not at all. Any good base like Netgear or Linksys or even an OSX based
mac running 10.2 or higher with sharing on will work...

> I want pick up a Lucent Wavelan or Orinoco
> Silver card and want to know if anyone has had any success with D-Link,
> etc (less expensive) wireless routers.
Yes, I am using the Netgear MR314, and the newer 814 works also.
> I know they are supposed to
> coexist, but are there any projected pitfalls to mixing x.11b and x.11g
> devices on the same network?
Who really cares? g is over rated anyhow. It's just a wizzy new spec.
sheet technology. Some reports claim that mixed networks tend to use
the b speed. Apparently the g range is very short (50 feet?).

Unless you are using your wireless for sharing large files, rather then
internet access, then 802.11g is pointless.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html