Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 16:57:44 PST

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:42:51PM -0600, Dylan Stewart wrote:
> Built in Bluetooth is almost assured. Apple is putting it into EVERYTHING.
> They are even making it internal to PowerMacs. Why do that if they aren't
> going to start releasing their own Bluetooth devices? Internal Bluetooth
> would also allow the predicted keyboard to be used with this handheld.
> Quite an impressive feature if I do say so myself.
[ ... ]
> ATA is, of course, a necesity. The device will likely have a Compact Flash
> slot (unless it has PCMCIA, that it) for easy transfer of photos from
> digital cameras.

One way to handle this (possibly VERY simply and inexpensively) would be
onboard bluetooth and a combo dual Type 2/single Type 3 PCMCIA slot,
which is a really compact expansion arrangement, and support ATA on
those. That'll allow simple addition of wireless cards and CF adaptors.
I have to admit I'm kind of a fan of the PCMCIA form for just about
everything save stuff that requires dongles.

That setup and integrated bluetooth would make for some pretty minimal
hardware requirements in the unit, save a bunch of design costs, and
enable the thing to use a bunch of existing hardware. (You wanna use a
Firewire hard drive? Get a PCMCIA firewire card and write some drivers.
Boom. Gigs of external storage for longterm daily data collection.)

> The idea of a screensaver is preposterous if it is going to use an OED
> display.

Again, my opinion is that I want the device as off as possible when I'm
not using it. Screensavers and pictures and things are such colossal
wastes of power and CPU cycles, which = heat in a portable. The last
thing I wanna see is a palmtop that needs a fan.

--
36. I will not imprison members of the same party in the same cell block, let
    alone the same cell. If they are important prisoners, I will keep the only