Re: [NTLK] Soldering the Interconnect Port

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 04:32:37 PST

>From: Hans Derycke <hans_at_derycke.com>
>
>Thanks to the good directions over at pda-soft.de, my UMP is open and
>gutted on my desk. Now comes the part where I'm supposed to solder the
>interconnect port back onto the main logic board.

        I don't recall hearing of anyone using this method on the Newton,
but here's how some techies do similar things (simple version of how big
assembly houses do it):

Using your toaster oven for doing surface mount soldering:
<http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm>

This site was mentioned on slashdot.org last week or so, and in the
slashdot comments there were some further comments from board assembly
house people that had more tips and tricks to make it all work right.

YMMV, see what you think fits your tools and skillset best I guess. I
assume your chip came loose due to use and you're repairing it, not
installing a home-brew device of some sort?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html