Re: [NTLK] I'd rather get rid of gross polutters pre-1973, bu

From: John Acuff (jacuff1_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 07:44:37 PDT

On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 12:39 AM, Newtvana wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 10:21 PM, Woo Lee wrote:
>> I'd rather get rid of gross polutters pre-1973, but 'Hollywood'
>> lobbied for
>> and won the exemption. :-(
>
> Just FYI, I and my friends who are VW Karmann-Ghia enthusiasts (Not
> Hollywood), were horrified when we heard about this bill. A flat-out
> ban on pre-73 cars is a poor law. Consider the fact that these classic
> cars are often better tuned than the average car, and (in my case)
> actually passes DEQ standards of today.
>
> Also, the real number of pre-73 cars is miniscule. You could save more
> pollution simply by having properly inflated tires and not using
> studded tires until they're really needed.

Exactly! It's easy to point a finger at older cars, but the facts just
don't support the claims that classic cars are a major source of
pollution. We just had this same discussion on the Triumph Spitfire
lists that I'm on. If we want to go after "gross polluters", lets go
after the industries that buy air pollution "credits" so that they can
circumvent the existing laws. If government really wants to improve air
quality, lets eliminate that loophole and force these industries to
meet existing standards. Why punish us classic car enthusiasts for the
sins of others? Sorry Woo, this is one time I have to disagree with you!

John (uses ToDo's to make parts shopping lists for my "fleet")

74 Triumph Spitfire Mk IV
68 Triumph GT6+
66 IH 1/2 Ton 4x4 PU
65 Ford Mustang 2+2