Re: [NTLK] Prelimbinaries/Escale Help

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 14:34:48 PDT

Il me semble que le 15/4/03 à 14:21 -0700, Will Ross nous racontait:
>It does happen when I press the connect button. It actually happens
>when the newt is supposedly "connecting to the internet". I get this
>error in TCP/IP mode, but in Appletalk, the newt cannot find a computer
>even though I have Escale and Delivery listening on appletalk.

Are you sure that the Mac has AppleTalk on the Ethernet interface enabled?

AppleTalk introduces a lot of problems.
- some routers don't route AppleTalk packets (but you don't have any
router or switch, just a hub).
- MacOS X ADSP support is somewhat wacky, poorly documented (search
for ADSPrecv with Google) and Escale and Delivery don't get it
perfectly right yet (I think we'll just abandon Delivery as Escale
plays the same role and is scriptable), even if Escale probably does
it better than Delivery used to.
- There is a very weird problem with the Newton's ADSP stack and
Airport Extreme base stations.

>I can connect to the internet just fine with NetHopper.

Do you have a slip asking you to choose your internet setup before connecting?

If you don't, choose the proper setup in the TCP/IP dock module
preferences. There is also a choice there, Ask or something, that
makes the module ask you to choose which interface to use. I think
that the TCP/IP dock module doesn't use a working internet setup,
hence the failure.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/