Re: [NTLK] programming Newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 01:18:14 PDT

Il me semble que le 17/4/03 à 09:53 +0200, samuel desseaux nous racontait:
>i know that a newsgroup for newton programmers exist but it seems quiet.
>As i am a newbie on Newton and have some projects, i'd like to know
>who has ever programmed on Newton (or who use programming Newton).
>If yes, is it easy?
>
>does exist kits for development?... I'f someone has an experience of
>programming, tell me! i'm interested!

The programmer's newsgroup csnp is scanned by active developers.

Easy? It depends on your programming skills, but globally it's very
rewarding. You can code nice applications within few days with little
or no preliminary experience. Regular object programming does not
necessarily helps. NewtonScript is closer to JavaScript than any
other mass-programming language.

I recall I found storage quite obscure at first. My first snipets
were rather hacks around to do this and that (I recall doing a
program that would wipe all the notes attached to meetings or
something like this, it was a protoFloater with a single button and
it made a sound at the end, heh, I'm quite nostalgic).

Anyway, my mistake was to not read and study the data storage
chapters of the Programmer's Guide and Reference manuals. I guess it
is because they're not that exciting. Still, they exhibit Apple's
(past) experience in writing documentation. If you have ever opened
an Inside Mac, you know what I mean (I used to spend hours into
Inside Mac Vol. VI in the early 90s, the only one with a nice,
appealing colored cover).

For kits, the best platform to do Newton development is MacOS 9 or
Classic. WinNTK is not as achieved as NTK for Macintosh. Since you're
using Unix, I suggest going Basilisk II. Disk images and all the
necessary software are on UNNA.

http://www.unna.org/unna/development/NewtonDev/

I think some parts are damaged there but the whole archive is ok.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/