Re: [NTLK] root on OSX

From: Jon Wright (jgw_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 05:46:22 PDT

>>It's a pretty bad thing, if you actually like to
>>have a working machine.
>I hear the joke is that you're not a real SysAdmin
>unless you've done this at least once and then
>had to recover from the aftermath . . . .

As a long-term Unix admin (since 1983), I fully subscribe
to this theory. When I taught Unix at TAFE (sort of like
college for Americans) I used to start the lesson by
scribbling a whole lot of commands that we would
learn during the course including the readmail (rm)
command with the really-fast (-rf) option and the
all messages selection (*). This of course is after telling
all the students not to touch their systems because they
were logged in as root and they needed to know more
about the theory before they started on the practice.

Usually about 15 minutes later into the lesson would come
the cry "Excuse me but my computer is broken" quickly
followed by "mine too". I would repeat the mantra above
and then "switch" the lesson to system recovery (which was
what I wanted to teach first anyway)....

Jon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html