Re: [NTLK] [OT] TiBook wireless range (compared to Newton)

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 10:50:52 PDT

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 09:22 AM, Michael Blazer wrote:

> I just put an AirPort card in my Titanium PowerBook, and the range is
> so
> poor it's almost useless. Unless it's in the same room as the base
> station
> (SMC7004VWBR) it can't hang on to a connection for more than a few
> minutes.
> This is in an old house, so the signal only has to contend with one or
> two
> layers of plaster and wood -- we're not talking about brick or metal.

We initially had issues like this but we added and antenna to the base
station and now can easily traverse our entire building floor and have
solid connections. This is over a 10,000 square foot floor with lots of
metal, concrete, and electrical including an elevator

One thing to note is that the iBooks do have better range because they
are not clad in metal

The new TiBooks are supposed to be better in this regard

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html