Re: [NTLK] Newton as research tool

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 10:54:13 PDT

Kevin wrote:
> Thanks for this link. NewtWiki looks really good. I was=20
> getting bogged down with lots of little notes about next=20
> term's teaching and this could be the way out.
>=20
> Is it just me or do sometimes links not work? I've a note=20
> with one word Music which links to the note "Music" and=20
> another word Music that tries to create a new note. Puzzling!

        Hi, Kevin,

        (I'm the guy whose writing NewtWiki, by the way...) What you're
probably seeing is the "folder namespace bug/feature". For everything
except new note templates, NewtWiki considers folders (in Notes) to be
separate namespaces. That is, notes in one folder will only link to
other notes in that folder. I made it that way so I could keep separate
sets of interrelated notes distinct (in my case, I want to keep
work-related notes from linking to personal notes, and visa versa). So,
you can end up with cases where you have a folder ("Personal", for
instance) with a note titled "Music" in it. Other notes in "Personal"
can link to "Music". If you have a note in a different folder, though,
it wouldn't link to "Music" from "Personal". Instead, it would attempt
to link to a note called "Music" in the same folder, offering to create
it if it doesn't exist.
        Of course, there are still a decent sized flock of bugs in the
linking code and you might be running into one of those...

        Thanks for the nice words on NewtWiki, by the way. It's nice to
know that I'm not the only one who finds it useful. ;-)

        Regards,

Jim Anderson

Blardy blar blar blar...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html