Re: [NTLK] Backup help wanted!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:17:07 PDT

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 11:14 PM, George Bingham wrote:

> I need help! I am trying to do a backup of my Newton in preparation of
> installing my SER-001. I cannot get a backup completed on either of my
> windows machines (using NCU 1.0), Nor have I been able to connect to
> my old Mac (a Quadra 660 AV running Sys 7.5) via ethernet (appletalk).
>
> Seems like I ought to be able to Ionnect to my Mac via appletalk, but
> I don't know how to tell the Mac to Use Appletalk. Do I need a server?
> or might I be Missing software?
>
> I recently obtained a 8.0 and (I think-I'M not at home now) 8.6? CD
> for newer Mac systems. Will what I need for Appletalk be there?

You haven't stated where your real problem is. I presume you have the
cables? Does your Quadra have ethernet capabilities? If you have the
cabling all down, then as someone said, a simple trip to the Chooser
will turn it on.

You mentioned two OS disks. The 8.0 disk should work on a Quadra, and
you will want to find and run the updater to 8.1. 8.5 and above,
however, will not run on a Quadra. 8.1 was the last version to run on
the 68K platform. With 8 or 8.1, however, you will have Open Transport
for networking. You can change your network settings in the AppleTalk
control panel instead of the Chooser. You can choose there either
LocalTalk (via the printer or modem port) or Ethernet via the funny
Ethernet adapter that the Quadra uses.

If you have a dongle for your Newton, I would suggest going either
serial or LocalTalk, and forgetting Ethernet. It seems that on this
older hardware, Ethernet for a single use is more work than it is
worth. :-)

That said, make sure that you make two backups, hiding the first one
before you make the second. You never know if you might just need that
second one. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland