[NTLK] WEP vs Airport

From: Jon Wright (jgw_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 05:23:15 PDT

Once again I turn to the collective wisdom of the list. I now have an
"Orinoco Gold" wireless card in a N2K. I have a white airport (not
extreme) which is serving ethernet and wireless hosts on the same
virtual network. My main server is on the ethernet side. For the
purpose of discussion I also have a laptop on the wireless side.

Picture: Server <Ethernet>Airport<Wireless>Newton+Powerbook

With WEP turned off altogether (on the Newt, Powerbook and the Airport)
everything works. I can talk to NCU or Escale OSX on the server and the
powerbook.

Now turn on WEP (40 bit) on the airport, fix the password on the
powerbook and add a hex key to the Newton. Ain't nothing goin nowhere.

Try WEP (128 bit) on the airport, fix the password and a new (very
long) hex key. Now some things work:
        * Connect to NCU/Escale on the powerbook are OK
        * Appletalk search (from the Newton) can see the server and the
powerbook
        * Connect to the server insists that the machine is not on the network

Huh? Repeatable. Note that there is no wep key on the server because it
doesn't know anything about WEP. Note that the powerbook can talk to
the server with no problems.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW I used the mac addresses in the back of the orinoco cards to add to
the restrict list on the airport and it worked! Basically this
restricts which mac addresses are permitted to attach to the airport -
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else but it works fine.

Jon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html