Re: [NTLK] etherwave adapter

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 22:51:14 PDT

Actually, EtherWave is a family of products distinguished by the fact
that they allow the creation of a daisy-chaned 10BaseT network. The
entire set of EtherWave products includes:

        - Nubus adapter
        - LC PDS adapter
        - ISA card
        - PCMCIA card
        - AAUI tranceiver
        - Mac/PB adapter
        - Newton adapter
        - Printer adapter
        - Multi-printer adapter

The relevant ones to a Newton owner are the PCMCIA card (a rebadged 3Com
and root of all 3Com drivers), the Mac/PB adapter, and the Newton
adapter.

I've never seen a Newton adapter in the flesh, but I presume it works
like the Mac/PB adapter. If so, it plugs into an 8-pin mac/newton serial
port and provides EtherTalk connectivity in one of two modes.

In the default mode, it would act as a simple LocalTalk bridge (i.e.,
LocalTalk connections from the mac/newton would be translated to
EtherTalk). This mode requires no additional software, does not support
TCP/IP (except through Mac/IP), and is limited to the speed of LocalTalk.

In the advanced mode, a driver on the host system would put the
EtherWave adapter into a high-speed mode and provide additional
functionality expected from an Ethernet driver. For the Mac/PB adapter,
this took the form of a Classic Networking driver. I honestly can not
say, with any surity, whether such a driver existed for the Newton
adapter.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

<<<john>>>

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html