Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]firstfone pcmcia card ;-(

From: Camillus Guhl (cam+newtontalk_at_spamcop.net)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 03:22:34 PDT

Robert,

I used a original Ericsson serial data cable (DRS-10) with a mini-DIN-8 (you
still need the interconnect adapter) to SUB-D-9 male adapter from
http://newton.pbk-solutions.de/produkte/kabel/adapter_seriell.htm

This setup (cable, adapters, t68i) used to be somewhat bulky but for semi-
stationary use no problem. Using Nitro (40hz.org) instead of a cable is much
smarter though and possible these days!

> Yeah, definitely sounds cool, not sure if I want to start spending big
> bucks on gprs though :-(

Well, then just use a csd or hscsd dialup connection with your mobile phone.
For .txt based information or instant messaging GPRS is not that expensive
anymore, at least here in switzerland, where pricing starts at around 3.20$ a
month for unlimited access to the provider's portal (incl. pop e-mail account),
pricing for 1 MB data traffic starts at 2.75$ up to 12.50$ (1 MB WAP).

> Cool to know that my Newt and my 68i can communicate over irda though,
> so the 68i won't be limited to 'just' Bluetooth with OS X.

Bluetooth worked very well with my T68i and G4-Cube and iSync...I replaced the
T68i with a Sony Ericsson P800 which unfortunately does not allow synching of
icalender and iaddress etc. of macosx... :-(( (it works for exchanging
pictures, address book p800 -> mac, installing software mac -> p800 over
bluetooth though and is recognized as p800 with macosx 10.2.5).

Regards
Cam

http://newton.guhl.net/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html